Friday, August 27, 2010

Culture Club


How cute is this (Tim Burton-inspired?) poster art? I love it... the champagne-wielding skeleton's wee paunch... the kissing couple... so precious! The event being promoted here is at "Cultura Club," a club in Palma I've actually heard of. The girl who was in my position last year in Binissalem recommended it to me as a fun place that plays indie music. In the same e-mail, she recommended I check out Youthing magazine... Youthing is basically the Freetime magazine of Mallorca. Madrid had the Guia del ocio, which was really helpful in getting the word out on upcoming cultural events (like art exhibits, concerts, film screenings, etc.), and it had a really great web version of the publication. So, about a month ago, I was pretty bummed when I googled "Youthing" and found their official website to be, well, without. The website was just a yellow pages-style listing of the publication's office address and a picture of a past cover, no links, no 'under construction' signs, just a whole lotta nothing... Until today! I searched again and found out they've updated the website (http://www.youthing.es/) so I can access the most recent issue. Needless to say, score! That's where this depiction of the skeletal soiree caught my eye, as well as announcements for some pretty cool-looking events, like some free music shows and lectures. Here are some local happenings I thought looked interesting, to say the least!:
  • an open-mic Poetry slam (in spanish...I think that would actually be pretty entertaining... to watch!)
  • a "Youth Group" for 14-30 year-olds offering free massages on Thursday nights in September (I may steer clear of that one!)
  • a concert with Elton John performing with Andrea Boccelli (definitely cool, albeit, before I get there and out of my price range)
  • a free screening of Shutter Island (LOVE IT) at the local Parc de la Mar

With less than one month left 'til my departure, I'd do well to keep my ear to the streets for chances to get amongst it!!

No comments: