Saturday, August 28, 2010

In my mind, I’m goin’ to… España

Can’t you see the sunshine/ Can’t you just feel the moonshine

About a month ago, I was stuck in a spider-web of red tape otherwise known as the visa application process.  How I love such dalliances with my fickle mister, the bureaucratic process… oh the memories: taking off work to get documents from an office that is only open on Thursdays, road-tripping to another country (in my case) to hand in my application only to get it denied rudely and arbitrarily…  Honestly, who are these people at the consulate… and how can I get a job there?  Their hours are 10AM-2:30PM (four and a half hour days, whaat?)… and the power-trip seems potentially invigorating.  That said, I found out last week that my application went through successfully and my visa is ready to be picked up… so, finally I know I will actually be going to Spain (and not just in my mind).   

I am seriously excited to get to Palma.  I’m going to cause the biggest stir since Michelle Obama's trip there earlier this summer.  Okay, well, maybe not, but I am rearing and ready!  Still though, this transitional period before going abroad is such a jumbled mess of a time.  Here are a couple of songs that sort of indicate the mixture of excitement and anxiety I’m feeling knowing I’ll be leaving home for a while:

"Don Quixote/Spanish Rain"- Coldplay  New Coldplay song dedicated to their 2010 Latin American Tour… “Spanish Rain”… perfect material for The Rain in Spain

"Boots of Spanish Leather" - Bob Dylan 

"Carolina in My Mind" - James Taylor  As Taylor says in the video, this song was actually written when he was in Spain and homesick

1 comment:

Sara said...

and don't forget a kitschy classic-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxX3plLOc0o